Thursday, March 29, 2012

Observing my Observation Hive

My word of the day is "festooning"!  I had never witnessed the bees dangling from each others legs, forming long chains and lace networks.  Apparently this is associated with wax production.



The bees are busy little things, and set right out to remodel their new surroundings.  They built a series of cells deeper, until they touched the plexiglas of the hive. and then chewed back through their handiwork.  They attached some of the brood cells to the glass as well, including a queen cup that gets constant attention.  Since I very seldom have a chance to see the cup without a bee inside it, I am optimistic that it may be of value to the hive.

I really need to work on the 'how' of getting pictures without a lot of glare.

























Some of the pearly white brood can be seen here, for the moment without nurse bees tending.
In the picture below, you can see the usual view of little bee butts sticking out of cells, as they are busy about tending the depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment